Hey guys!!! Today I am going to be telling you how to make vanilla cupcakes. These turned out sooooo good, and I finally got powdered sugar so I was able to frost them! Woohoo! I will be doing a separate post on the buttercream that I used. I don’t have any pictures of the process on making these, but I do have some pictures of the final product that I will be putting on my post for the buttercream that I used to decorate them tomorrow. So without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!!!
- 1 1/4 cups of cake flour… that is what the recipe calls for, but I used all-purpose flour, and it still worked great!
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil… vegetable, canola, and extra light olive oil are recommended in this recipe. I used vegetable.
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
I know what you are thinking, aww man, I don’t have buttermilk, time to look for a new recipe. There is a way to make buttermilk. I would not recommend using this for recipes that call for super large amounts or need to have exact measurements because this is not the exact same as real buttermilk, but it worked fine for me.
So what you can do to make buttermilk is combine 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 tsp. white vinegar or lemon juice. I did the lemon juice method because I forgot where we kept the white vinegar. You just need to set this aside for 5 minutes before you use it.
Now to the directions!
- preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- If you are making your buttermilk from scratch, then now is when you want to start doing it 🙂
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together with a whisk, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the eggs and beat for about 20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add your vanilla and oil and beat until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and then the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined… the recipe says to only scrape down the sides of the bowl here, but I like to do that in between each addition of milk and flour, just to make sure that it is getting evenly mixed.
- The batter will be thin… and I mean REALLY thin. I thought that I had ruined my batter at first, but it is supposed to be that thin. DON’T THROW OUT YOUR BATTER!!! I promise, if you follow the directions, it will turn out good!… Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill the liners about 2/3 of the way full
- Bake cupcakes in the oven for 12-14 minutes. I think that I ended up baking mine for about 16 or 17 though.
- Cool in the pan for 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan carefully and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Frost as desired when fully cooled, and dig in!!!!
You can use this recipe for a cake as well. The recipe above will work for a 6″ cake, but you can double the recipe for an 8″ or 9″ inch cake. This recipe is from http://www.glorioustreats.com/2011/07/perfect-vanilla-cupcakes-recipe.html. You should check out her blog… it’s really good! I hope that you enjoyed!!!