hey guys! Keana here. Today I made some salted caramel ice cream, and I got this from Williams Sonoma. This ice cream turned out sooooo yummy!!! Here are the ingredients that you will need…
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
here are the steps
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the 3/4 cup sugar and the lemon juice with 2 Tbs. water. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Stop stirring and cook until the syrup is a deep amber, about 6 minutes, swirling the pan to ensure even cooking. Remove from the heat. Pour 3/4 cup of the cream into the hot syrup, taking care it does not splash. Stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, salt, 2 Tbs. sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup cream until smooth. Stir in the milk. Pour into the warm caramel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and keeping the custard at a low simmer until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4 to 6 minutes. Do not let the custard boil. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
- Set the bowl in an ice bath and stir the custard occasionally until cool. Remove the custard from the ice bath and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Pour the custard into an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving. Makes about 1 quart.
Here are some pictures of what the ice cream looks like, the first picture is from when it was cooling in the ice water, and the second picture is the finished product. I also wanted to mention that this recipe is from http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/salted-caramel-ice-cream/?crlt.pid=camp.uEcZ32Qe92Kn.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe, and if you liked it or tried it, please comment below what you think, how it turned out, or any questions that you may have. Bye!